A couple of months ago, I purchased a set of eneloop low-discharge rechargeable batteries for use in my programmable remote control. On August 19, I installed the first pack of four, promising to follow up when they needed replacement. I finally needed to do so last Thursday, for a lifetime of one day shy of two months.
The batteries that I installed were not fully charged. I pulled them directly from the packaging as they arrived at the house, and had whatever charge they had from the factory. (eneloops are shipped to retailers fully charged because they have such a low self-discharge rate.) I’ll continue to monitor my experiences and post further updates as I continue to gain experience.