I am in good company as a tax procrastinator

I own some foreign stock that pays a dividend, and the company that provides account services recently advised me that they had issued the 1099 form reporting the dividend had mistakenly not reported the foreign tax withheld. (They also can’t get my address right, but that’s a longer-running problem.) I needed to file for an extension while they get their act together. Apparently, I’m not the only one looking for the extension form. When I hit the IRS web site, I saw that the extension form, 4868, was at the top of the search results on the last day to file:

IRS most requested forms

So, apparently, I’m in good company with lots of other people who are putting off the final day of reckoning.

Leave a Reply